RE: (erielack) Metamorphosis

Chuck Walsh asks:
> Question on the Greenwood Lake
> Branch, but
> wasn't the NY&GL double-tracked to Mountain View at one time?

To the best of my knowledge, no. Remember, there was that tricky bridge over Peckman Creek in Cedar Grove, and also the crossing of the Passaic in Wayne. There are no signs at either location of a second bridge. As far as I know, double track stopped at Great Notch, and it was single track the rest of the way west.

Perhaps you're confusing the "double-track-appearing" Mountain View station in EL years?

> Also,
> was the line
> always singled tracked north of Mountain View and, if so, was
> there enough
> traffic to warrant an occasional passing siding?

As far as I know, it was always single tracked. And the traffic never was enough to warrant a passing siding - I'm not even sure in the days when they ran to Greenwood Lake it was ever busy enough.

> Finally,
> was there ever a
> yard at Greenwood Lake, prior to the line's truncation (due
> to the building
> of the Wanaque Reservoir) later on?

You got me here, way before my time. :)