(erielack) Metamorphosis

Hello all,

Pardon me, but please allow me a bit of editorializing/romanticising here. :)

In today's Newark (NJ) Star-Ledger, the cover story (!) was called "A Peek Inside the Double-Deckers" - it's about NJ Transit's forthcoming double-deck commuter coaches that will be placed in service initially on their former PRR Northeast Corridor line into New York City, but the article mentions that as more of these cars come on-line, they will also be put on Dover-New York and Montclair-New York trains (both traversing former EL lines).

This made me think about the NY&GL part the cars will be riding on between Montclair State and the Bay Street station in the center of Montclair. The NY&GL was constructed primarily as a passenger (commuter) route, and has a rather curvy and hilly line through the northern New Jersey countryside. The Erie kept this tradition, and common sights seen in books include doodlebugs on passenger runs and Consolidations on local peddler freights. It was all rather quaint.

Not much changed until 1963, when the NY&GL line became part of the EL's "Boonton Line", and a new sight - large freight trains - began to ply the line. By the early 1970s, freights got longer and more plentiful, and commuter trains were now made up of "modern" Pullman-Standard commuter coaches and GE U34CH diesels.

By the end of the 70s, the freights disappeared, but the commuter trains kept rolling.

Then it was time for more change - the "Montclair Connection" included electrification of the NY&GL to Great Notch, and that brought "exotic" (for the NY&GL) electric power on board. Soon, electric trains were a common sight through the Montclairs.

Now we have the announcement of double-deck coaches. These sleek stainless-steel behemoths will certainly be an imposing presence in the towns along the NY&GL. Interestingly, most of these towns have been little changed over the past 50 years, but the trains have leapt light-years in terms of their development. From a historical standpoint, it's just fascinating to watch.

Thanks for indulging me. :)