Re: (erielack) Morristown & Erie interchange

Paul and list,

  Paul, as I have told you before, the M&E would receive on average 30-40 cars per night.  There were times when that would be 40-55 cars several times a week.

  There were 3 interchange tracks at Morristown and when there wasn't enough room on those tracks the remainder would be shoved across Abbot Ave. in Morristown.

  I worked as ticket agent at Millburn during 1969 Monday through Friday and Saturdays and worked on the M&E as freight agent at Whippany.

  I don't know when the majority of interchanged moved to Morristown, but it was obviously before 1969.

  Rich P

  Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)" <paultup_@_lucent.com> wrote:
  Hi folks,

A couple of questions about the EL's interchange with the Morristown & Erie:

* Does anyone know what percentage of cars were interchanged at Morristown (the DL&W end) versus Essex Fells (the Erie end)? I would assume the latter started dropping quickly, since the Caldwell Branch washed out in 1975 and by that point there was little M&E interchange there. Anyone know when the shift to Morristown started taking place?

* How big were the interchange cuts? I read lots of stories that the M&E would move in many freight cars into the Whippany Paperboard mill at Whippany each day, which tells me that a LOT of cars would be interchanged. Does this also mean that the associated EL drills (i.e., 2nd Dover) would be loaded with M&E cars?

* How much busier was interchange in DL&W/Erie years? I heard that the M&E had two separate jobs to work the paper mills, with dozens of cars in and out on a daily basis. I didn't think the interchange tracks were long enough to handle all this traffic! Anyone know?

Thanks in advance,

- - Paul