Re: (erielack) CWR - made in Salamanca

I've seen two weld failures resulting in fairly wide pullaparts since hiring
on with NJ Transit in 1995. One was just a few feet east of Station Road in
Mt. Tabor on Track 1 about six or seven years ago just after the crossing was
rehabbed. Had to have my train "walked across" the gap at about 2 MPH with a
Track Foreman watching each wheel while talking to me over the radio. I suspect
it was a defective weld. One particular brand of thermit welds was experiencing
a high defect rate some years ago. Railroad Construction Company of Paterson
switched from that brand to a French firm's weld kits due to this problem back
when I was Superintendent of the Morristown & Erie. The Sperry Rail Service
detector car picked out two such defective welds done with kits of the other
company on jobs done on the M&E Ry. RRC quickly redid them using the French
firm's masterial.

Al Holleuffer