RE: (erielack) Milk Traffic

I think it was a combination of three things:
Money - yes, cheaper
Money - yes, the rails found out it wasn't really covering costs
Time - trucks were faster to the destination.

And maybe a fourth:  Truckers got to know their customers better.  At least one reader of this list
has commented that some of his railroad's customers had not gotten even a phone call from a railroad
sales rep in thirty years or more when he started calling on them.  When word got 'round that they
were soliciting business, customers started calling HIM.

Becker clearly had an emotional attachment to the rails.

SGL