Re: (erielack) CWR - made in Salamanca

That reminds me, CWR was best laid in hot weather when it was at or near maximum expansion. If not, it could buckle and kink during extreme heat. We had problems with that on CN in Ontario in the 70's, and I think it caused a derailment. CSX also had problems with this several years back.

Paul B

A rail train was no better than its worst car, and the more cars you had in the train, the more chance you had for problems.  The old D&H rail train had solid bearings, and it tended to sit still all winter.  That caused rust on the journals which led to hot boxes.  Changing a wheel set under a loaded rail train is not an excercise for the faint-of-heart, so we D&H'ers were happy to start using the EL rail train with roller bearing cars.  The cars were dedicated to the rail trains year round.

Gordon Davids