(erielack) MOW on the EL

Hi folks,

There's been a lot of talk about continuous welded rail on the EL, and here's a question by extension: How was maintenance of way on EL lines "blocked out?"  Obviously in those days before giant floodlights, all the work had to be done during the day. I assume this was planned way in advance to allow train crews and dispatchers to start planning for detours and/or delays, as well as to get the MOW crews staged for their jobs?

Would crews be given train orders at the nearest tower instructing them how to proceed through the maintenance area? And how did the dispatcher keep in touch with the MOW crews - radio, telephone?

I was just thinking that might be a neat thing to throw into a modeling operating session to give the dispatcher and crews a bit of a challenge - let's say an EL tie-replacement crew is working on a main. How would the proper way be of handling such an event?