RE: (erielack) CWR

> Yes, exactly.  These gons look like, well, regular gons that were not
> adapted for CWR use, which would have made rail handling
> difficult, to say
> the least.

Chuck,

Not really - in "ye olden days" (1950s), I've seen videos of strings of drop-end gons with CWR inside of them, loaded side-by-side, on top of rollers fastened to the bottom of the carbody. You'd never notice the rollers from a ground-level shot, but the videos I've seen show the loaded cars from above. They handled the rail effectively. In later years, railroads realized you could cram more rail onto a train by putting several levels of rail, instead of one level on the floor, so racks were built inside gons and atop flatcars for this purpose. Most modern rail trains have these multilevel rail racks for efficiency's sake.