(erielack) CWR

Paul, Rich and List,

I think Rich is right, the cars probably went off line to pick up the
CWR and that required interchange numbers on the cars.

I've always read that CWR came in quarter-mile lengths. If so, that
would require about 25 gons to transport lengths that long. It would
seem that a train that long and unique would have drawn the lens
of railfans. Between the cars being parked, stored, transporting and
unloading the CWR, it just seems some photos of these should have
surfaced on the web, in Morning Sun, etc.

That begs the question: was all CWR sold/made in quarter mile
lengths? Were sorter lengths ever made/sold/used?

If the EL did not install much CWR, perhaps this was a one-time
train, quickly put together to transport a load of CWR, and then
returned to revenue use. That also begs the question: what other
modifications had to be made to these cars besides the installation
of racks? (In WWII when the Erie transported long lengths of
anti-sub cables, the gons had to be chained together in case
of a knuckle breaking)

Ronald R. Dukarm  ELHS #532  ELHTS #66
rdukarm_@_adelphia.net