RE: (erielack) AN EDUCATION PAMPHLET FOR LACKAWANNA EMPLOYEES ON THE ATOMIC BOMB

> I thought the following document might be interesting for the list:

Wow, this is good, and timely considering the nonsense in North Korea right now.

> the following is information and
> recommended practice as released by the Atomic Energy Commission:
> Three Fundamental Facts Are--
>      1. You see the bomb flash before you hear the explosion.
>      2. Major atomic bomb casualties result from fire and flash burns.
>      3. Radiation from the bomb is likely to produce more panic than
> casualties.

Wow, amazing the ignorance they had in the 1950s. "Radiation from the bomb is likely to produce more panic than casualties?"  Guess there wasn't enough long-term evidence, huh?

>       The radiation effect of an atomic blast has received the most
> notoriety. This effect has had undue publicity. It has
> created widespread
> fear which could be the cause of mass hysteria at time of an atomic
> explosion.
>       In terms of immediate radiation, protection may be
> gained in taking
> shelter immediately behind some structure or a pile of dirt within the
> second of seeing the atomic flash.

Of course! Because we all know that radiation certainly CAN'T go through dirt or walls, right? :)

Pat, this is priceless - thanks for posting it!