Re:RE: (erielack) Milk

Thanks, Bill -- for something new (to me, at least) in milk handling.

How did they keep the milk cold - refrigerated trailers?  Or top ice?

Where did the trailers go on the east end?  Were they unloaded while on the flat cars, or off-loaded and driven?  Either way, where?

This could be an interesting operating situation, VERY time-sensitive!

Randy Brown
Randy:

The answer is yes.  A dairy in Homer , NY continued to use rail even after the EL merger and the demise of psss. trains on the Syracuse Br.  It was a piggyback operation with the trailers being loaded through side doors while on the flat car.  They were handed by the local out of Binghamton to Homer.  It made it a point to get back to Binghamton to make #22 out of Bing.  The emties were handled on #7 and then the local back to Homer.  This went of for several years.  I worked as a brakeman on the Syracuse Br. the summer of '62 and had the honor of setting off this empty flat with two trailers at Homer on several ocasions.

Bill McDonald