(erielack) CWR on the EL

Numerous stretches on the heavier-trafficked track 2 on the Southern Tier between Hornell and Bingo dating from at least 1968, Stretches on the Buffalo line Bfo-Hornell, the single track west of Meadville, portions of the former Big Four track on the shared trackage Marion-Galion. None of it pre-EL, AFAIK. An incomplete list but you get the idea. Discrete portions as finances allowed, but not entire divisions. IIRC the first ever US installation of cwr was on D&H in the Schenectady area in the 1930's. Close to HQ I imagine so they could keep an eye on it. Some of the portions in the Poconos you mentioned were laid in '73-'74 only to be taken up by CR in 1977 for relay on the former Delaware division.

Paul B

From: Charles_Walsh_@_Berlex.com
Subject: (erielack) CWR on the EL

I was wondering if anyone knows to what extent the EL used continuous
welded rail on its lines?  I know about some of the cwr that was laid
between the Water Gap and Scranton (primarily on curves, I believe), but
I'm wondering where else it might have been laid?  And did the DL&W and/or
ERIE lay any cwr prior to the merger?