Re: (erielack) William Gale

In a message dated 10/7/2006 5:00:00 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
doctorpb_@_bellsouth.net writes:

Hi  Folks,

I was saddened to learn yesterday that Bill passed away in  August after a
long illness. His employment with EL included a position as  Assistant Teminal
Agent (Piggyback) at 51st St in Chicago from 1969-75; prior  to that he had
been Agent-Yardmaster at N Falls. He was a longstanding ELHS  member, and some of
you will recall his article in the Diamond in 2001  chronicling his
experiences in Chicago. I was fortunate in being able to visit  him in April, when he
provided me with info and materials for our upcoming  Diamond articles on UPS
and Chicago operations. He was very gracious during  our visit despite his poor
health. He is survived by his wife and  daughter.

Paul B

I'm so sorry to hear of Williams passing. Although I never met Bill in
person we spoke on the phone several times, often at length.  He was a true
gentleman,  and a person that had a great memory.   I  quickly learned that he had a
keen sense of knowing at a young  age that certain things around him would
someday become historically significant  and what needed to be documented and
preserved.  His saving of  dispatcher sheets along with other reports was a big
help to me when I was  working on Railway Milk Cars Vol 3, all of which he
selfishly donated to the  cause. He has written an extremely detailed synopsis of
 the Utica Branch from when he first was stationed in that territory in the
early  1950's   I was of the impression that someone ( several years  ago) was
going to get this work into book form?  I sure hope  someone does. There is a
copy with the EL Archives at Akron. His GREAT  article in the Diamond on the
piggy back  operations at the 51 St facility  speaks for it's self.

We all meet thousands of people throughout are lives. Unfortunately it  is
usually a small group that you can truly say I'm glad I got to  talk and know
that person. Like so many former employees I've had the  privilege to have known
and talked with, William Gale is definitely in  that small but precious
category. With the passing of former employees like  Bill, we of Historical minds
and interest loose so much.  Paul  B, Please convey my condolences to his
family.

Bob Bahrs