Re: (erielack) The Hayshaker

Fred and listers,

  The Hayshaker just ran as an extra train from Suffern back to Croxton.  An assumption on the name "hayshaker" is that it stopped so many places it shook the hay getting cars out of each customer.

  I rode this job when I was learning the road to become a train dispatcher in Hoboken.  After we left Croxton, we stopped in Hackensack, the crew tied down the train.  Everyone headed back to the caboose as the brakeman had cooked eggs, bacon, toast and coffee on the caboose stove.  It was great.  About 1pm we were around Hillsdale and the brakeman got off the train while we were switching and went to a market near by to get groceries for dinner.  About 5pm after we were heading west on the Piermont Branch we tied the train down again out in the middle of no where.  The engineer said "come on kid, dinner is ready."  We walked back to the caboose and the brakeman had cooked a pot roast dinner for every one.  We had potatoes, vegetables, meat and dinner rolls and of course coffee.  We had pie for dessert What a meal it was.  We then left and headed to Suffern.  I got off there and took a passenger train back to Hoboken then took another train back to Dover where I lived.
 The Hayshaker ran around their train and proceeded back to Croxton.

  It was a 17 hour day for me and I didn't get paid for it.  On the EL if you wanted to be a train dispatcher, you were issued a head end pass and were told to go out and learn the road on your own.  When you were ready, you went into the dispatcher's office to break in on a job.

  Rich Pennisi

Fred Stratton <erief7_@_msn.com> wrote:
  The EL had a local on the NJ & NY called the Hayshaker. It would run westbound as 1671, but what was the eastbound symbol? Was it just and extra when returning? And does anyone know where the name "Hayshaker" originated?

Fred Stratton

MP. 7.2 NS Asheville line

Salisbury, NC