(erielack) Re: Favorite Era

Color is such an important part of railfanning/modeling. That's one of the reasons post-1970 railroading was so hard on the passenger fan: not only did most trains simply disappear, the survivors eventually adopted a rather boring uniform scheme (while freight trains were becoming more colorful). I imagine for many passenger train fans it became hardly worth even looking at a prototype train.

Paul B

I've had era discussions before with lots of folks, and some (hi, Jay Held!) keep trying to push me back into the 1960s, since I could model Train Masters and Alco FA's, "real passenger trains," and more local industries were still around. Compelling, yes, but I grew up with big U34CHs - which lots of folks know had tons of character - and, like Paul B., I love the "colorful 70's" era of larger and brighter freight cars. Plus, I can still toss in an F- or E-unit on a freight and be legitimate.

End of EL Mail List Digest V3 #2160