(erielack) Re: Miscellaneous

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Paul Brezicki wrote:

> Secondly, what's up with the insertion of line break with ! on some posts? I' believe I've seen it on one of the Yahoo groups also, and it seems to be a recent phenomenon. Mildly irritating.
>
> Paul B

The "!" on inserted line breaks is to adhere to internet standards for the
length of a single line of plain text. Because some folks' mailers are set to
send mail in various formats such as HTML, rich text, base64 mime encoded
text, etc., we have to convert some emails to plain vanilla ASCII text,
SMTP inserts line breaks with ! as the place holder. I have always understood
why it was done so I haven't looked into it any further, I just accept that it
is the way that it is done.

If everyone sent listmail as plain text with 76-80 character maximum line
lengths, everything would always look the same. That lust ain't gonna happen
in this world :)

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services