(erielack) Lake Jct hike

 On this fine fall day, what better thing to do but get some fresh air and go hiking along some RR Tracks. I had a chance to do just that, and do a little industrial archeology around the former CNJ yard at Lake Jct.
    My first trips to this place were around 1976 just prior to Conrail, the yard at that time was still full of freight cars and EL and CNJ worked the yard. So today it was nice to see a string of cars with shinny wheels sitting at the M&E interchange. (The M&E was active on the Chester Branch all day) Much has changed in this area since the last ES-99 creeped west up the "New connection", and even that track is showing signs of decay these days  :(
     You can find plenty here if you look hard enough, and It was neat to see such things like all the sand and glass granule's along the former Thatcher Glass lead (The rails are still in place on the branch) And walk through the little Forrest that covers the west end of the yard as it narrows from three to one track heading toward the branch heading north to Greenpond Jct. The rails are still in place here also, and out under the DL&W the little tunnel is completely clear of growth. M&E still stores a few former Erie Mining Alco's out here and even a few cars including two former EL hoppers, one in very faded EL paint.
    Of interest is one incredible little piece of history hidden away in the woods, the battery box covers off of EL GP-7 1233. Yes, a small reminder of the Geep and that tragic Lake Jct. wreck survives to this day! I will post some photos of the GP-7 remnant as soon as I can.
    Here's a photo of the unit after the wreck, I am still amazed it was actually  rebuilt!

  http://el-list".elhts.org/archives/1233 b.jpg

  (Note the covers are missing in the photo)

    There plenty of reminders around this yard of years gone by, and wrecks of course, from random scraps of steel and car parts to broken Miller beer bottles. But I was amazed to find a rusty EL Gray link to the past today!
     Even the Hookerman would be smiling at this one...  tis the season.

  Todd ~ (ELHS 1318)