(erielack) Van Sweringen Fest

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed our weekend in Cleveland for the Van
Sweringen/AMC meeting.

The presentations I attended were terrific -- I especially enjoyed "meeting"
John J Bernet, but also learned all sorts of things -- as well as had some
things I vaguely knew of come into sharper focus. It was my first visit to
Cleveland since the early 1970s when I drove out there to ride the
Youngstown train. Those 8mm sound movies of the E-L were just stunning --
being able to see and hear that commuter train again was simply wonderful.

Heck, I even enjoyed the Penn Central and Conrail movies.

I think it also points toward a way of expanding interest in our favorite
subject (not to mention our favorite hobby horses <g>) in that a broadly
conceived series of "clinics" (presentations) if properly promoted could
draw a crowd that we would not normally see at a strictly railfan-oriented
program.

Tom Dixon's program on rail archives was interesting -- again setting
thinking on a broader range o issues in our efforts to preserve (and
protect) the past.

That many rail historical societies have archives in various states of
organization and accessibility and usefulness (nd our issues with the
University of Akron), it might be useful to have some sort of conference for
archives people. I see the Martime people have the same issues, by the
way -- and although some collections **had** accessibility and funding --
that's going away for them, so maybe a broader base would be helpful
(Baltmore, San Francisco and New York archives have all been closed in
recent years).

As for other subjects that could attract a broader base of people (and with
a particular E-L focus but sometimes other nearby roads) might include the
development of transportation of fresh meats and vegetables for larger
cities, the history of the milk industry, delivering the mails, the railroad
express business, anthracite, and  railroads and suburban development. At
least these are subject I'd do a presentation on as part of a larger
meeting/convention/symposium devoted to a specidic subject.

A hearty cheer for NOARS and everyone involved in putting this together.

Jim Guthrie