Re: (erielack) November TRAINS and Calendar

It's a great article.  If there would be one criticism I would have it is
that he didn't use a photo of Nicholson with a train on it for
perspective...it's only when a train is on it that one truly realizes how
big the viaduct really is.

             "Montgomery,
             Edward T"
             <Edward.Montgomer                                          To
             y_@_fcps.edu>               <erielack@lists.elhts.org>
             erielack-owner_@_li
             sts.elhts.org                                         Subject
                                       (erielack) November TRAINS and
                                       Calendar
             10/01/2006 06:48
             PM

             Please respond to
               "Montgomery,
                 Edward T"
             <Edward.Montgomer
                y_@_fcps.edu>

I'm surprised of the few comments about the DL&W in TRAINS and the October
Calendar Picture.  I think Taber's Lackawanna in the 20th Century (not sure
which volume) related the use of concrete to Thomas Edison's experiment
with it with his concrete plant out by New Village.  A couple of notes
about some of the buildings.  The Mountain View station was not totally
poured concrete.  It had a poured concrete footing that ran up to the
window line.  Above that it was a wood frame building with concrete stucco
above that line.  I didn't realize that until the building was knocked down
in 1965.  EL took it down with one of their clamshells.  The concrete base
is still in place in the weeds off of Parish Drive.  I think the
Totowa-Little Falls was constructed the same way.  This was much different
that the structures at Johnsonburg, Greendell, Nicholson and other
stations.  I never thought of Towaco as a concrete station.  Probably
because it had brick accents.  Towaco was always d!
 ifferent;  white washed with maroon brick and wood accents.  I think all
of the other stations were green with a red accent.

Looking at the November calendar shot, I suspect it was taken on or before
1963.  I was wondering why a hostler would set up a lineup with a Geep
heading an FA.  Usually the Alco would load up first and push the Geep.
One would think the crew would choose the cab unit for a lead unless the
Alcos were not favored.  Any thoughts?

Ed Montgomery