(erielack) October Calendar Photo

Paul's customary calendar commentary is mia (did you go to Cleveland?) so I'm going to get the ball rolling.
It's fitting that the subject is a freight train about to enter Port Jervis, since freight operations here have been discussed very recently; P Jervis and vicinity appears no fewer than six times in this year's calendar, including front and rear covers. The caption says NE-74 at Sparrow Bush, so it might actually be correct in all details for a change, although it would be difficult to confuse the location with well known Mill Rift bridge in the background. On the RR the west end of Port Jervis yard was spelled "Sparrowbush". The train is completing it's run over the Delaware division on a beautiful fall day, although the year isn't given. In 1964 the schedule of train 74 had a significant speedup which put all sections through Port before dark. Prior to that, Advance NE-74 came through in mid-afternoon. Much later than 1964, a priority train would likely have newer second generation power, so I'm guessing 1964-65 for the photo; I'm sure the diesel experts in the group can narrow it down by the locomotives.

We have a typical 1960's "dog's breakfast" lashup of Geep, Alco cabs and EMD B unit. Beginning in 1969, runthru power off CB&Q and then BN would make regular appearances on this train. Heading up the priority consist are reefers, boxcars and TOFC. The reefers are on the head end to facilitate re-icing enroute; this was also the preferred location for blocks of mechanical reefers, facilitating inspection and refuelling of the diesel tanks that supplied the refrigeration equipment. The trio of reefers here include an SFRD, and perhaps someone can explain why the bunker hatches are closed; I thought the idea was to keep them open in transit to circulate air over the ice and into the lading.

NE-74 departed Chicago the previous morning and will briefly pause in Port (due at 12:45 pm) for crew change before proceeding to Maybrook and the New Haven. Connection OB-4 will forward the consist to Boston for a scheduled 5am arrival after setoffs at Cedar Hill and Providence.

Paul B

End of EL Mail List Digest V3 #2156