(erielack) K1 in Korea

Here is some verified news.

About six or seven years ago, John McCourt, who lives in Pasadena, prevailed on his friend, the
owner of The Original Whistle Stop in Pasadena to investigate this locomotive for him on one of his
trips to see a brass manufacturer in Korea.  The manufacturer (I think it was SamHongSa) was
gracious enough to send one of his employees out to look for this locomotive.  The employee returned
with a photograph of a 4-6-2 on display.  I have seen this photograph.  One cannot determine for
certain that it IS the K1.  It, uh, has the right number of wheels . . .but if it is the ERIE K1, it
went through a process which would be the inverse of the Americanization of the Russian Decapods
being converted from a Russian look to an American look.  I also got a fax from SamHongSa directly
explaining what had been done.

I don't seem to be able to find this paper right now.  I didn't get a copy of the picture, as best
as I can recall, just the typewritten fax.  I talked with John McCourt tonight, and he (better than
me, knows where his copy of all this is . . .) will send me a copy of the picture and probably the
note.  When those arrive, I'll post them to the list.

So, what's this say?  It says that there was, for sure, a 4-6-2, which might or might not have been
the ERIE K1, which has been renovated to look substantially different, on display in South Korea,
six or seven years ago.  And that's all it says.

SGL