RE: (erielack) Fwd: [Susquehanna] Yes one does remain K-1

> This rumor seems to re-appear every 6 months or so somewhere.
>  It appears that this locomotive was used in South Korea.  I
> have seen at least one photo of it in service in the late
> 1950's.  As you might suspect, a one of a kind locomotive was
> side-lined after it developed mechanical trouble.  Not
> surprising since it was already old and well-worn by the time
> it got to Korea.  My understanding is that it was destroyed
> sometime in the early 1960's during some sort of military
> "war games" practice.

The locomotive being in South Korea is fact - there's a photo of it there in Morning Sun's "Erie Railroad in Color" - but what happened after its service there has been always a big point of speculation. While speculation can be fun, I really would like an official story on what happened to it. I've heard the "war games" story, too, but can anyone corroberate it?