(erielack) K-1 in Korea

I receive the Digest form of the List.  The email below that I am responding
to came through independently and any response evidently did not go to the
entire list. So I will repeat myself here with additions not in my initial
responsel to  David Notarius.

I knew at the time that the Erie donated to Korea one or some of its retired
steam locomotives. The Erie publicized this fact. In the 1954 Annual Report
on page 11 there is a photo of a K-1 being hoisted onto a ship with the
caption: "This Erie steam engine, retired from New York-to-Chicago passenger
runs (WRONG!), is being loaded aboard ship at San Francisco on its way to
help in the rehabilitation of Korea -- a gift from the Erie railroad."  The
text on the previous page also brags: "This past year was historic in that
it marked the passing of the steam locomotive from the Erie scene.  Ten
years ago the Erie owned 750 steam locomotives. Today they are all gone and
the job is being done with 371 diesel locomotives.  No steam locomotives
were operated during 1954 but 22 had been held for emergency service;
however, they have since been disposed of, the last eight having been sold
for scrap in October. The Erie is now a completely diesel powered railroad."
[Hey, thanks so much, guys, for not thinking of saving one or two!!)

I have never read of the fate of the locomotive(s ) sent to Korea and have
always had a thought that one could still exist. Now that would be really
something: to have an extant Erie steam loco turn up in the 21st Century!??
Is it possible??

If #2524 is stored somewhere in Korea, could something be done to bring that
baby home?

Joe Braun