RE: (erielack) P2K/Bev-Bel E8/9 EL paint scheme

Mark,

> Hello to everyone on the list.  I have a Proto2000/Bev-Bel
> painted EL E8/9 painted in the earliest paint scheme ("Radio"
> in maroon letters and  "Erie Lackawanna" in maroon lettering
> scheme).   I want to get rid of this maroon lettering.  What
> is the best way to get rid of it without painting.  If I have
> to paint over the lettering, what brand of paint should I use
> that matches what Bev-Bel used?

There are several ways you can try to try and remove the factory lettering. Sometimes a pencil eraser works to remove the lettering.

Another trick that can work: Apply denatured alcohol (the pure stuff, not the stuff you use to get out back pain! :) with a Q-tip slowly, and then use the pencil eraser to remove the lettering

The other option is, as you point out, to just paint over the existing lettering with gray paint (though odds are an outline of the lettering - due to the thickness of the ink used - may show through the paint). I'm not sure what color Life-Like used to paint these, so it's going to be a fun job of expermenting to figure out what color combination will match. Of course, gray is one of the hardest colors to accurately match. :(

My disclaimer: I'm not promising any of these won't destroy the factory paint! :)  Use caution!