Re: (erielack) Rolling Crew Changes (was CX-99 Wreck)

As a physician I can't say I disagree with this rule. The potential for injury was increased with inclement weather, darkness and with crew members who were less then physically fit. I have an ATSF training video from the 70's which shows the "correct" way to get on and off moving equipment.

Paul B
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Richard Pennisi
  Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2006 10:04 AM
  Subject: Re: (erielack) Rolling Crew Changes (was CX-99 Wreck)

  Paul,

  Statistics were showing an alarming amount of injuries (IE knee injuries, twisted ankles and the like) to crewmembers who were getting on or off moving equipment.

  The stats were from injury reports submitted to FRA on a monthly basis.  FRA requires all injuries to be reported.

  Certain Class 1 and some Class II railroads have adopted this rule and it applies to all crewmembers in any class of service.  The only time it is permitted to get on or off moving equipment is in an emergency situation.

  Rich Pennisi
  Paul Brezicki <doctorpb_@_bellsouth.net> wrote:
    This was a not uncommon preocedure on several RR's, including Espee,
    Southern, and I'm sure there were others I can't think of at the moment. I
    was unaware EL did this also. I'm very surprised to hear that it is now
    prohibited; does this apply to switching moves? That would slow the process
    considerably.

    Paul B

    The EL was famous for "Rolling Crew Changes" and it was an art.

    The five crew members would strategically station themselves along the
    train, engineer, fireman and head man at the head end and the conductor and
    flagman at the rear. I noted this at Kent numerous times.

    The train would reduce to about 5 MPH, the head man and either the engineer
    or fireman would drop off, two members would get on, they would exchange
    conditions---"speedometer is 3 MPH slow at 40, air is OK, dynamic is OK,
    good
    handling train." Then that guy would get off and the final crew member
    would
    get on. The rear end would change in the same manner, a shout over the
    radio
    that the crew was changed and the throttle was opened.

    After Conrail, when the crews started becoming mixed with EL-PC-Conrail
    people, this practice stopped and now of course, there is safety rule
    prohibiting
    getting on and off of moving equipment except in the case of an emergency.

    SMT