(erielack) Commuter Train Engines

How was it that EL was happy with the '45's when few others were? Did they
have better mechanics? Only four SD45 customers came back for the Dash 2
version (EL, SP, ATSF, SCL). SP chairman Ben Biaginni partly blamed them for
his road's service meltdown in the 70's. Supposedly problems mostly centred
on the long crankshaft for the 20 cyl prime mover. EL's bicentennial units
did spend a lot of time in the shop. Notwithstanding that, EL did return to
the counter. Why was their experience different?

Paul B

> What advantages did the U34CH bring over the FP45? Was it
> GE's financing
> prowess, did the EL elements of dissatisfaction with their
> fleet of 45-series
> locomotives, or did NJ end up with the final say with
> politics playing a major
> role?

Well, the U34CH had a HEP generator in it, operated off the prime mover
(though the EMD probably could have been easily modified to do the same)

The EL was VERY happy with its 45-series units; I think it came down to
bidding and overall performance for the service they were to be used in
(commuter)

- - Paul