(erielack) GP7s in Erie paint into the 70's

At 08:30 PM 3/3/2006, Paul R. Tupaczewski wrote:
> >     I was wondering how long after the merger would a Erie GP
> > 7 still be running with its original Erie paint scheme?  I
> > have been searching the railfan photos trying to find a Erie
> > GP7 with EL engines or EL labeled rolling stock.
>

>The latest photo I have of a GP7 in full-blown, original Erie paint is the
>1236, taken April of 1968. The earliest photo of that unit in EL paint I
>have was taken in December of 1971, and it has a little road grime on it, so
>I doubt it made it into the 1970s in Erie paint.
>
>The latest "patched" Erie unit (that is, one with EL diamonds pasted over
>the Erie ones but otherwise still "Erie-looking") was Erie/EL 1244, which
>latest into at least October of 1970. The earliest in full EL garb was
>September of 1972, and in that show it also looks like it has several months
>of weathering on it.
>
>This is based on photos in my collection; I'd enjoy hearing if others have
>later pictures.
>
>         - Paul

Paul and all:

I photographed EL 1231 on the EB "Hayshaker" in Hillsdale NJ on
11/15/71.  This unit was still in Erie paint and wings, with EL
decals on the nose and carbody side.

The Hayshaker is the daily local freight that ran the upper NJ& NY
Monday - Friday.  He would frequently lay over in Hillsdale for lunch
on the westbound leg.

Best regards,
Tim Costello