From: erielack-owner_@_lists.elhts.org
[mailto:erielack-owner_@_lists.elhts.org]On Behalf Of Gary R. Kazin
Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2006 2:47 PM
To: EL List
Subject: Re: (erielack) A (MUCH) bigger version of the EL/NJDOT map...

Ah, the Comet IA cars, 5198-5199 and 5996-5999.  The shells were left over
from the Arrow III order - eight extras were built in case there was a
problem during the Arrow job.  NJ owned the shells...

The interiors looked just like Arrow III's, only the center vestibules had
plugs instead of doors and there were 'jumpseats' there for extra
capacity.

- --- Pete Scheckermann <pschecke_@_columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-03-25-06

> Service continued to be provided by the EL but with the old equipment.
> Since over half the mileage to Port Jervis was in New York state, NJDOT
> (predecessor to today's NJT) would not allow their equipment on the Port
> Jervis trains.  This continued until September 1974 when MTA agreed to
> furnish a rebuilt engine and 5 or 6 cars.  I am attaching a 1981 photo
> of Train 54 with the MTA cars at Allendale.  They were quite a contrast
> to the Comet cars.

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey