Re: (erielack) Athern RS-3

The basis from which I've judged the quality and performance has been
basically Atlas/Kato/Stewart locos.  Even today my older Atlas locos
with the Kato drives, or my Kato GP-35s, are almost silent; but then the
details aren't as crisp and refined as newer locos today.  Technology
moves forward.

I was really concerned about Athearn's noisy driveline.  It doesn't seem
to be the problem of old, today.

Henry

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 11:28:13 -0500, "HO Junction Custom Models"
<hojct_@_stny.rr.com> said:
> > "Henry W Jarusik" wrote:
> >
> >  Will these have a nice quiet and smooth drivetrain, or something
> > awful that rattles and sounds like nuts and bolts in a coffee can?
>
> Well I have two NYC versions, I equipped them with DCC and they were
> smooth
> and relatively quiet right out of the box. After a few hours on them they
> quieted down even more. I have no complaints with the new Athearn RTR
> locomotives. This is definatly not the Athearn junk of 15- 20 years ago.
> For
> the price you pay - you are getting a really fine locomotive. I bought
> two
> of these units for less than what I paid for my Kato RS-2 a few years
> back
> and I think the detail on the Athearn unit is 5 times better and it runs
> just as well.
>
> -Shawn
> ELHS 3377
>

> 	The Erie Lackawanna Mailing List