(erielack) ELDCPS

[RE:

From: "Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)" <paultup_@_lucent.com>

Subject: (erielack) An Important Anniversary!

I'm proud to say that today is the fifth anniversary of the founding of the
Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society!...Through it all, our focus
has remained unwavering - to recreate the long-haul passenger train and
dining experience of the Erie Lackawanna.]

I want to give thanks back and congratulations to all who have nurtured and
bulldogged this passenger train project along so far. For many of us who
only watched these trains and wished we had a chance to ride them - you will
be providing the FIRST such riding and dining experience.

Well, actually the second!  I commuted to high school on the Erie from Glen
Rock to JC/Hoboken from 1955-1959.  On one Saturday night in the fall of
1956 I had an important  function down at school. I missed the 5:23 PM local
in town and got a ride up to Ridgewood to catch an express (#1172) at 5:49
PM.  Somehow I missed that one also.  I was really upset and near panic.
Then I remembered that #2, the eastbound Erie Limited, was due into
Ridgewood at 6:19PM -- but to "discharge passengers only".  When #2 came to
a stop, I ran over to the conductor and spit out my plight.  He looked at my
monthly commutation ticket for verification and shushed me onboard for my
only ride ever on an Erie through train. He was just so cool and friendly!!
That made my night.  (I was instantly struck at how quiet and smooth those
6-wheel-truck coaches were compared to the Stillwells!!)

There is something in that story that captures the spirit of the people on
both our heritage roads.  I think it is that spirit that helps fuel our
organizations and projects.  I don't think such spontaneous and easy
generosity would have happened on the  "Century" at Harmon or on the
"Broadway" at Newark for someone who had missed a suburban train.

Joe Braun