Re: (erielack) commuter train engines

K A and Group,

The CNJ GP40P units were purchased by the B&O, who controlled the CNJ
through the Reading, and as a close affiliate of the C&O, the B&O was  the one in
that chain who had enough money for the State of NJ to come after to  invest in
the service. The GP40Ps replaced CNJ's Trainmasters, which EMD  supposedly
wanted to replace with SDP40s riding on trade-in TM trucks. Now, I'm  not sure
how true that was, but it would have made for an interesting  locomotive, but
supposedly B&O nixed it because with the TM trucks, they  could not blend in
with the regular B&O fleet.

I don't believe the GP40Ps were ever owned by Conrail and were passed
directly to NJDOT/NJ Transit, but I will say the same source that contributed  the
direct ownership of these units by Chessie/B&O suggested that CR used  several
EL E8s in Boston commuter service--which I have not yet  substantiated.

The U34CH units were purchased by NJDOT for use on the EL lines and there  is
a lot out there saying EL's preference in utilizing large units that could
double in freight service contributed to their acquisition. I don't know if
NJDOT and/or EL considered any other type of locomotives but it is an
interesting and unique choice of power--Amtrak's SDP40F and Metra F40Cs  excluded.

Phil
ELRRco_@_AOL.com

In a message dated 3/23/2006 11:12:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,