RE: (erielack) Map Placement on EL Pullman Standard Cars

Ken Bush wrote:

> In answer to Michael's question, the operator was the E-L
> using equipment and, probably, subsidy money provided by
> NJDOT.  After the first Comets & U34CH's were purchased by
> NJDOT, the Lackawanna electric MU cars remained in service on
> the M & E Division, and a few trains made up of ex-Santa Fe
> stainless steel coaches ran on the Pascack Valley Line,
> pulled by E-L locomotives.

Here's a question I hope someone can answer: Is there a reason why the EL
seemed to get a better deal than the CNJ with respect to what NJDOT helped
to subsidize? The CNJ got 13 EMD GP40P's (new) and a whole bunch of cheap
ex-GN and UP coaches. The EL got 31 U34CHs (new), the aforemention ATSF cars
(used), and a big fleet of Comet I coaches/bar cars/cab cars (all new).  Was
the EL commuter service perceived as "more valuable" to the state than the
CNJ service?