Fwd: Re: (erielack) MU's, was: EL fantrips

Note: forwarded message attached.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:32:48 -0800 (PST)
From: Richard Pennisi <eldispatcher72_@_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: (erielack) MU's, was: EL fantrips
To: bob gillis <robertgillis_@_verizon.net>
Cc: EL List <erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>

Listers,

  I was 2nd trick dispatcher on the M&E and prior to that worked 3rd trick combined East End Job #44 (Boonton Line, M&E, Mainline) and prior to that was an extra train dispatcher at Hoboken.

  Train 629 was the 13 car train.  I'm not sure if it had 6 motors or 7 but I believe it to be 7 motors. I remember there was a concern with the power dispatchers about a power overload with that train.  If we had a PI or power interuption which caused a circuit breaker to open, the power dispatcher would ask the M&E dispatcher if 629 was on time to see if the train could be in the same circuit that the breaker was open. The power dispatcher was reluctant to re-set the breaker since it had so many motors on it as well as the other trains that might be in the same circuit. They usually would reset the breaker only once and it we had another PI, they left that breaker open until the M&E dispatcher had some kind of communication with the crews operating the trains in the trouble spot.

  PI's were similar to a ground relay action on diesel locomotive traction motor.

  Rich Pennisi

  bob gillis <robertgillis_@_verizon.net> wrote:
  Gary R. Kazin wrote:

>In the later days (late 70's to 1984) that I saw, the MU's were always
>coupled in pairs, one power car and one trailer alternating down the
>train. I've seen an overhead photo of one train of -THIRTEEN- cars with
>seven power and six trailers.

I can understand a thirteen car train but with 6 power cars and 7
trailers. Weren't the parlor cars not part of permanently couple pair.
and i think they always ran with one power car and one trailer. The
trailer had the MG set and battery.

bob gillis