Re: (erielack) Re: EL fantrips....now Mu's

Steve,

You would have been about the same age as when I first rode the MUs.  They
were so distinctive in so many ways, I know exactly what you're saying
about the sounds and smells.  I'm sure that anyone who has ridden them has
the same memories.  My favorite distinctive smell was that of the brakes,
which you can still get at Steamtown.  I have two favorite distinctive
sounds, neither of which, however, can be duplicated at Steamtown: the
first was the sound of the idling motor, which I believe was the generator
kicking in on a power car.  This was noticeable during station stops; the
other favorite sound--by far my favorite of all, and rarest--was the sound
the train would make when it was going flat out at top speed...this would
only occur east of Harrison (and not on every run) or at other selected
places where conditions permitted fast running...west of Bernardsville, for
example, or west of Highland Avenue.  The train would kind of shake in a
distinctive manner and would add a dimension of excitement to the ride.
After the MUs were retired, I went to a museum in upstate New York (I can't
remember it's name off the top of my head) that had acquired a few cars,
and they actually had spotted an MU train at the depot and had the
headlight lit.  They also had strung up some catenary for effect.  I
remember hearing when I was there--we're talking nearly 20 years ago--that
they intended to energize a short piece of catenary and restore the MUs to
running condition.  I don't know if that was ever done or not.  Perhaps
someone else on the list knows something about this.  In any case, I
certainly miss them, too.  Not that I would like to see them back in
revenue service...but I'd love to ride in a DL&W MU again under its own
power.

Chuck

                      STEVEZ10_@_aol.com
                      Sent by:
                      erielack-owner_@_list To:     Charles_Walsh@Berlex.com
                      s.elhts.org                 gkazin_@_yahoo.com
                                          cc:     erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
                                                  erielack-owner_@_lists.elhts.org
                      03/22/2006 03:41 PM Subject:
                      Please respond to           Re: (erielack) Re: EL fantrips....now Mu's
                      STEVEZ10

Chuck,

Although I  was only 6 years old when NJT retired the classic cars I can
still remember riding them like it was yesterday! The sights, sounds, and
smell
are still in my mind and everytime I ride in one at Steamtown I get that
bittersweet memory back. Although you will never see them in electric
service again
at least museums and tourist lines still use them behind steam and
diesel....!

Steve