(erielack) FW: Fantrips - Erie, DL&W, CNJ and a few others

From Ed Weber, via Jim Dent - "old school" fan trips! :)

	- Paul

- -----Original Message-----
From: Jim Dent [mailto:jdent1_@_optonline.net]

Paul,

I don't know if you want all of this on the EL list so I'll send it to you
to decide.

Jim Dent

I sent an email to Ed Weber with a copy of your EL fan trip listing.
Ed's reply follows:

"Jim, I moved to Pittsburgh in 1956, so I know nothing about the trips (on
Paul's list).  However, I'm attaching the list of fantrips I rode."

May 16, 1948 Sponsored by the NY Society of Model Engineers, the NRHS, the
Railroad Enthusiasts, and the Railroadians of America

DL&W Hoboken to Portland, Pa. via Boonton and Washington, NJ.
Bangor & Portland branch to Bath, Pa., photo stop at the Bangor roundhouse
L&NE Bath to Portland, photo stop at the Pen Argyl roundhouse DL&W Portland
to Slateford Jct., then Slateford to Hob'n via the Cut-off and Morristown
Locomotive was DL&W 1132, a 4-6-2 Pacific. Helper engine on the B&P Branch
was DL&W 1234, a mikado Gondola at the rear end

Oct. 17, 1948 Sponsored by the NY Society of Model Engineers, Railroad
Enthusiasts, and the Railroadians of America

DL&W Hoboken to Andover Jct. via Boonton and Rockaway, stopping at Rockaway
(last day of DL&W train service to Rockaway) for photos and purchase of
souvenir tickets L&HR Andover Jct. to Maybrook, NY, photo stops at Warwick
engine erminal and Maybrook NYNH&H, Erie, L&NE, NYS&W, and L&NE Maybrook to
Portland, Pa.
DL&W Portland to Slateford Jct., then Slateford to Hob'n via the Cut-off
and Morristown
Locomotive was DL&W 1135, a Pacific
Gondola at the rear end

May 15, 1949 Sponsored by the NY Society of Model Engineers, Railroad
Enthusiasts, and the Railroadians of America

DL&W Hoboken to Portland, Pa. via Boonton and Washington, NJ.
L&NE Portland to Bethlehem
CNJ Bethlehem to the CNJ roundhouse for photos CNJ Bethlehem to
Phillipsburg, NJ, then DL&W Phillipsburg to Hob'n via Morristown Locomotive
unknown Gondola at the rear end

Oct. 9, 1949 Sponsored by the NY Society of Model Engineers, Railroad
Enthusiasts, and the Railroadians of America

DL&W Hoboken to East Binghamton roundhouse via Boonton and the Cut-off, with
photo stops at milepost 100 (scenic view), just east of Mount Pocono, and
the Tunkhannock Viaduct.  Photos at E. Bing. roundhouse.
Return to Hoboken via the Cut-off and Morristown

This excursion was originally scheduled to go to the American Car and
Foundry (ACF) plant at Berwick, Pa., but just before the scheduled date,
workers went on strike.  The Binghamton trip was scheduled instead.
Locomotive was DL&W diesel 801
Gondola at the rear end

May 6, 1951 Sponsored by the Railroad Enthusiasts

CNJ Jersey City to Mt. Hope and to Green Pond Jct. via High Bridge, stopping
at the Cranford Jct. roundhouse for photos.  After arriving at Mount Hope,
the train backed up to Hopatcong Jct., then went on to Green Pond Jct.
Mount Hope was also a photo stop. Green Pond Jct. was another photo stop
while the locomotive was turned on the turntable.  The locomotive almost did
not make the hill climb heading south from Green Pond Jct., with its drivers
slipping numerous times.
The train returned to Jersey City on the main line Locomotive was CNJ 814, a
4-6-2 Pacific

May 17, 1952 Sponsored by the NY Society of Model Engineers, the Railroad
Enthusiasts, and the Railroadians of America

DL&W Hoboken to Phillipsburg via Boonton CNJ Phillipsburg to Taylor, Pa.,
with a photo stop at the Bethlehem roundhouse DL&W Taylor to the Scranton
roundhouse for photos DL&W to Hoboken via the Cut-off and Morristown
Locomotive was DL&W diesel 801 Gondola at the rear end

June 22, 1952 Sponsored by the Railroad Enthusiasts

Erie's farewell to steam
Erie Jersey City to Carbondale, Pa. via the Graham Line. Photo stops when
the locomotive took water at MQ East, east of Campbell Hall, NY, and at the
Starrucca Viaduct.  The train stopped at Carbondale, but it was not a photo
stop, except for the few of us who prudently walked at a fast pace to
photograph D&H steam while keeping the train in sight.
Some fans missed the train when it left and we waved goodbye to them from
the gondola.
D&H and Erie Carbondale to Dunmore, then over the Erie's Wyoming Division to
Lackawaxen and back to Jersey City on the main line Locomotive was 2944, a
Pacific, from Jersey City to Port Jervis and return. West of Port Jervis the
trip was diesel powered.
Gondola at the rear end

(This trip is pictured in the Morning Sun book, "Erie Railroad Trackside
with Robert F. Collins" on page 93.  Ed has previously told me that he is in
Bob Collins picture on Starrucca Viaduct - right in the center of the rear
of the gondola wearing white pants with a brown jacket and cap.
- - Jim)

June 20, 1953	Sponsored by the Railroad Enthusiasts

CNJ Jersey City to Tamanend, Pa. via Allentown and Mauch Chunk, with a photo
stop at Cranford Jct. roundhouse Reading on its Catawissa branch from
Tamanend to West Milton Lunch stop at West Milton while the locomotive ran
around the train to pull from the other end Rdg. from West Milton to Haucks
via the main line, with a photo stop at the Gordon engine terminal CNJ from
Haucks to Jersey City via Mauch Chunk and Allentown.
Locomotive was diesel
Gondola at the end of the train. It was inaccessible after the reverse
operation from West Milton east.
Train had two B&O dining cars

July 11, 1954	Sponsored by the NRHS

CNJ's farewell to the camelback
CNJ from Jersey City to Freehold, Bay Head Jct., and Atlantic Highlands.
  Photo stops at Wickatunk and all three destinations, and a lunch stop at
Point Pleasant Train returned to Jersey City Locomotive was 774, a ten
wheeler Observation car at the rear end

April 2, 1955	Sponsored by the Railroad Enthusiasts

CNJ's final farewell to the camelback
CNJ from Jersey City to Bridgeton and return.  Stopped at Red Bank to pick
up passengers, and at Winslow Jct. for water and photos Train returned to