Re: (erielack) Re: EL fantrips

I remember the MU trip well with the "romantic" aspect of travelling
through the Bergen Tunnels without lights on the return trip to Hoboken.
Interestingly, the fastest speed on that trip was attained by the 8-car
consist west of Bernardsville on the Gladstone Branch.  BTW, although the
MUs were rated by GE as having a top speed of 63 mph on level track,
according to Taber they would, on suitable downgrades, reach or exceed 70
mph (he states that he was in the cab of an MU that he clocked hitting 75
mph westbound through Maplewood).  Granted, this was rare and required the
engineer to run his train as fast as he could through the 50 mph curve at
Orange.  Again according to Taber, unless there were only two power cars
and a trailer car in the train (probably never happened) it was impossible
for the MUs to reach, much less exceed, the 50 mph speed limit going
westbound through Orange.

Chuck

                      "Gary R. Kazin"
                      <gkazin_@_yahoo.com>
                      Sent by:            To:     EL List <erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>
                      erielack-owner_@_list cc:
                      s.elhts.org         Subject:
                                                  Re: (erielack) Re: EL fantrips

                      03/22/2006 02:54 PM
                      Please respond to
                      "Gary R. Kazin"

- --- CO614_@_aol.com wrote:
> August 19, 1984-M&E # 16 AND 17-"Farewell to the MU's" - Hoboken to
Dover
> including the Gladstone and old Montclair Branch. The consist was made
> up of E-L MU's being retired.

The DL&W Edison MU's ran under their own power on the Montclair and
Gladstone Branches, then to Dover.  The M&E ALCos were waiting at Baker
and followed to Dover, then hooked on to what had been the rear of the
train.  Reason: we went back to Hoboken over the Boonton Line!  We had to
stop near Lincoln Park to let wheel bearings cool - Ben Friedland had them
up to 70 mph, a speed they never reached in service.  That became an
impromptu photo stop.

> July 30, 1988-NKP # 765 westbound and (3) M&E Alco's eastbound - Hoboken
> to Port Jervis and return. This trip was marked by incredible heat. In
> addition to these trips, C&O # 614 was used on several trips over
several
> years in the late 90's between Hoboken and Port Jervis.

AFAIK 22 public trips and four non-public trips:
1996 - test trip, six public trips in the summer, 'reward' trip for staff.
1997 - test trip, four public trips in June, six public trips later.
1998 - test trip, six public trips in summer.
I worked or rode over half of them!
Most memorable: 6/14/1997, Father's Day.  I should have taken a clue when
my train from Denville arrived at 6:14am...  My wife and son met me at
Port Jervis for lunch and my son and I got a cab ride.

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey