Re: (erielack) Mystery Photo Location, solved

Bob and list,

  Yes to the freight house east of the over head bridge.  As for the water tanks, I do remember there was an odd wooden railing around the top of the tanks, but I have no idea if the tanks were closed or not.

  The building that was knocked down was either Railway Express or just for Mof W or a private company.  Your guess is as good as mine.  But I have seen photos with freight cars in on these tracks.

  Rich

Dlw1el2_@_aol.com wrote:
        http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-03-18-06

Mystery_photo_001.jpg (image/jpeg, 702x310 117810 bytes, BF: 1.85 ppb)

  Rich and Bob
  I know it always looked like Stroudsburg, except for that building to the left and the  eastward facing interlocking switch in the foreground.  I don't ever remember seeing any part of the interlocking plant way to the east of the station like that.

  SO  not Soo  lol ..........  I started to do some more research too, and the photos on page 86 and 87 of Lackawanna in color vol 2 confirm everything. IT IS E. Stroudsburg and that building was there in 1952 and gone by 1960. The very unique off center interlocking signal and water plug DO line up, as does the M of W shed across the tracks.

  I think that eastward facing interlocking switch  disappeared by merger date as did the concrete bumping block per the photo on page 87. As a matter of fact a large blow up of a Gene Collora photo at E. Burg that I have hanging in my basement confirms nothing to the east of the station by late 1959 or early 1960. I might add that this is the exact location and approximate angle of the mystery wrong faze F3 # 804 photo that was talked about on the Anthracite list a little over a year ago, so that clears up that location mystery also, although NOT the wrong faze F3 mystery.

  I'll throw out two more questions:     :)

  Did those tall cylindrical Lackawanna water towers have a roof on top, or were they open?

  Wasn't there a freight house just east of the concrete overhead bridge at E. Stroudsburg, and if so what was this building in the foreground of the photo in question? A second freight house or original freight house?

  Thanks for the input guys.

  Bob Bahrs