Re: (erielack) Steel King

SGL

From what I have heard from reliable sources:

The Erie/P&LE Morning and Evening Steel King(s) operated between  Pittsburgh
and Cleveland with P&LE PA's and Erie PA's.  I have seen  photos of the train
at Aliquippa with one and/or two P&LE PA's.  I  understand that the PA's of
each road operated through Youngstown on the run on  a reciprocal basis, as you
asked.

The P&LE had 4 PA-1 (4204-4207) built in 4/49, Pulled from service in  1958,
sold for scrap to Southwest Steel in Glassport, PA in 1960 and they  were cut
up in 1963 (By M Solomon & Sons Scrap???)
They also had 2 PA-2, (4213-4214) built in May of 1952.  They also  were
pulled from service in 1958, retired 12/60 and sold to M Solomon & Sons  for scrap
in 1963.
The P&LE also had 7 GP-7's equipped with steam generators which were  used on
their passenger service.  These units had various numbers during  their
career but were delivered as 5682-5685 and 5635-5637.

There is speculation that the Erie E-8's operated to Pittsburgh, on
occasion, but I can find no one who can verify that theory.

The units had to have ATS to operate on the P&LE in lead  position.

I'm not certain as to when this through power arrangement ceased, but
speculate that it may have ended in 1958 when the P&LE PA's were  retired.

I recall in the early-60's the Steel Kings, which were reduced to coaches  by
then, changed power at the Erie Terminal Building in  Youngstown........P&LE
GP-7 came off and an Erie RS-2 (900-901) added,  etc.

SMT