RE: (erielack) Perishables in EL years

As you might know, a lot of produce went into New York by rail- up until the
mid 1960's to the Produce Market which stood in the WTC/WFC neighborhood,
right by the river, by carfloat and later to Hunts Point in the Bronx, most
I believe via NY Central. I know that in the Hoboken/Jersey City area there
were a number of food warehouses (including Union Cold Storage and Seaboard
Cold Storage), also down in the Newark/Elizabeth area there were a number of
them, some still served by truck alone (I think Shop Rite is/was one, also
White Rose by the Airport) where there was once a train to truck transfer.
There are of course reefers around today, and they have to go somewhere...

Weren't those Western Fruit Express  or Pacific Fruit Express reefers in the
picture?  The Union Cold Storage Terminal was in operation up until 1992 or
so if I understand the aticles correctly (though it could have closed
anytime between 1986 and then).  Looking at a map it looks like north to
south, it was the Union Terminal, the Holland Tunnel entrance, then the
Newport Center Mall.  What/ where was the rail link between the Union
Terminal area and the Erie areas to the south?

For those of you who are also into firefighting, you might recall how nasty
is when of those old brick, cork and wood places catch fire, and the results
can be fatal as they were in Worcester, MA in 1999 since these building hold
heat as well as they hold cold.  Of course, the E-L past and NJT on ex-EL
has had some close calls (anyone rembember Apollo Dye in Paterson almost
collapsing on to the Main Line in the spring of 2001)?