(erielack) Perishables in EL years

Hi folks,

The recent discussion of cold storage warehouses in Jersey City got me thinking... We know that perishables to the New York market were a big business for the Erie (and to a lesser degree on the DL&W), but how did this change in EL years? You would occasionally see some old 40' reefers on the EL into the late 1960s (I have some video footage showing a pair of GB&W reefers on an eastbound entering Croxton yard), and more often you'd see the 57' mechanical reefers with western roadnames.

The question is, where did those cars go? I don't remember seeing many of the 57' cars being carfloated over to New York. I would guess those cold storage warehouses in the Jersey City area, as well as supermarket distribution points in the greater New Jersey area, were the primary recipients of these cars. Is my assumption correct?

Does anyone know what percentage of EL traffic was made up of perishables in the 1970s?  Obviously, there were no perishable hotshots anymore, so how valuable was this traffic, really?