Re: (erielack) Binghamton Gas Suppliers

The pipeline terminals are all in Vestal, close to the Vestal Spur, but none
of them are or were rail served, to my knowledge.

Agway still is an NS customer, but YO yard that it was adjacent to has long
been torn up, with only a single track left as a switching lead. The lumber
yard you refer to is Belknap Lumber, which is still on the west side of
Binghamton right at the Johnson City line. The siding is still there, but I
don't think I've seen a car in there in over ten years. The large
manufacturing facility may have been part of EJ, which had a huge warehouse
along the south side of the Erie tracks between Lester Av and Willow St,
which has been unused for many years; there was also a plant on the north
side of the tracks bgetween Lester Av and Airport Rd/Downs Av in
Binghamton(EJ Paracord) which was recently torn down and the property
cleared to build a printing plant for Gannett Newspapers, which will produce
the Binghamton, Elmira, and Ithaca papers there. It is not rail served.

Akel Wholesale Grocery-a/k/a Binghamton Giant Markets-had a siding to their
warehouse on Oakdale Rd, but I don't think they've received a car in at
least ten or 15 years.

There was a company in west Endicott-whose name escapes me now, aging brain
cells-right where the EL went under NY 17C, that made plastic drainage pipe.
The factory burned to the ground in a spectacular fire right before
Christmas in 1988. What remained of the building was razed, but the siding
is still there. The property is still vacant. They moved to Waverly, but are
located on the ex LV just north of where it crosses under the EL.

IBM-Owego had a siding, now removed. I never saw anything spotted there.

There are undoubtedly other rail customers, notably EJ, but their
fortunes-and rail use-declined greatly in the 60's and 70's.

Tom B