Re: (erielack) EL List Daily V3 #1955

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-03-16-06

Paterson-BloomfieldCanal.jpg (image/jpeg, 1247x767 861947 bytes, BF: 1.11 ppb)

James Lee's THE MORRIS CANAL, A PHOTOGRAPHIC HISTORY, has a similar view
from 1892 on page 97.  The DL&W is on the 'mountain' side and the wall
keeps the tracks from falling into the canal.

- --- Todd Hollritt <thollritt_@_yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-03-16-06
>
> pat5.jpg (image/pjpeg, 694x335 51224 bytes, BF: 4.54 ppb)
>
> Well here's that postcard image I was talking about, you're looking
> west and would be standing in the middle of Route 80 westbound today!
> Sure enough the Morris Canal ends up on the opposite side of the tracks
> at this point! It then crossed back under near Broad Street in Clifton.
> That smokestack is still visible from Route 80 today. The stone wall I
> spoke of would be off to the left of the image, that means it could very
> well be a former Lackawanna retaining wall since the Canal ran on this
> side of the tracks.

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey