(erielack) Re: Steam engines

In a message dated 3/16/2006 3:34:17 AM Mountain Standard Time,
erielack-owner_@_lists.elhts.org writes:

> I'll defer the required steam in the cylinders for movement to some of the
> steam heads. :)

 Steam locomotives are lubricated by two types of oil, regular lubricating
oil is used in mechanical lubricators for guides, pedestal liners, etc. On
modern locomotives, steam cylinders, valves and packing are lubricated by valve
oil. This product is specifically made to mix with steam, and as the steam enters
the piston valve, it mixes with the valve oil, then enters the cylinder
through the action of the valve. This is how these critical areas of the locomotive
receive lubrication. With the engine dead, no steam is available and no
lubrication is provided. That is why engines moving to a shop were moved "live" and
perhaps with a restriction, or the main rod would be pulled and the engine
moved dead in tow.

Somewhere I have instructions for moving steam engines in tow.

JJBoehner