Re: (erielack) Doubleheaders

In a message dated 3/15/2006 7:17:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
davandli_@_frontiernet.net writes:

That  leads me to ask a "possible dumb
question":

Why couldn't a steam  locomotive be moved dead-in-tow behind the lead
locomotive?  There  must be a good reason or it would have been done.

Dave  Green

Dave
I can't give you a detailed explanation, but I do know that there was no
such thing as dead in tow for steam engines.  They always had to be under  steam
to move anywhere.  When they were going to scrap, or on there last  runs, they
were always crewed and under steam.  SO, with that stated it  just makes
sense to double head, from point A to point B.

I'll defer the required steam in the cylinders for movement to some of the
steam heads. :)

Bob Bahrs