RE: (erielack) Re: EL List Daily V3 #1955

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-03-15-06

wreck1.jpg (image/jpeg, 532x348 43517 bytes, BF: 4.25 ppb)
wreck2.jpg (image/jpeg, 538x347 57845 bytes, BF: 3.23 ppb)
wreck3.jpg (image/jpeg, 529x336 53653 bytes, BF: 3.31 ppb)

Bill K. asked:

> So were the people who lived along the line, isn't that where
> they dumped a number of trailers when they first started
> running the trains through down there instead of on the Erie side?

You got that right! The infamous accident happened in Bloomfield in November
of 1973. Attached are some shots of the trailers spilling down the big
embankment through town, including the garage that was the victim of this
derailment.

> At least I remember reading that somewhere, probably in a
> 1975 issue of
> Railfan ages ago.   Seems like the routing was a little odd because it
> turned out they actually could have used to have kept a
> portion of DL&W that was given up for either I-80 or maybe I-280 -

That's always been a huge bone of contention here. Reportedly, when the Fed.
Government bought the DL&W Boonton Line through Paterson for Interstate
Route 80, the Feds offered to keep an easement so the EL could keep one
track (realigned) paralleling Route 80 through this area, but EL said, "No
thanks, we have a way we can re-route it ourselves."  The line through
Paterson was the one with better grades and fewer curves, so why would the
EL want to voluntarily reroute via the hill-laden and curve-filled NY&GL
line?