Re: (erielack) Re: EL List Daily V3 #1955

- --- "Bill K." <pontiac_@_dreamscape.com> wrote:
> So were the people who lived along the line, isn't that where they
> dumped a number of trailers when they first started running the trains
> through down there instead of on the Erie side?

Yes, on the NY&GL which became part of the Boonton Line.  They derailed in
Montclair or Bloomfield IIRC.

> At least I remember reading that somewhere, probably in a 1975 issue of
> Railfan ages ago.   Seems like the routing was a little odd because it
> turned out they actually could have used to have kept a portion of DL&W
> that was given up for either I-80 or maybe I-280 -

Roughly four miles of I-80 between Mountain View and Paterson, including
the old Paterson High Bridge over the Passaic River.  NJDoT wanted part of
the route for the highway and offered to provide a single track through
the area, but they would have provided no money to EL.  EL opted to get
money and no track.

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey