Re: (erielack) Hostler's rules

Listers,

  I can attest to the chief assigning some power as when all the railfans were working in Hoboken... me, Artie Erdman, Dave Pauer, Dan Biernacki, we tried to line up F units in pure sets so we could photograph them later.

  Rich Pennisi

Smtimko_@_aol.com wrote:
  Paul and list:

Power Control in Cleveland was responsible to make certain that there was
enough power at points to operate trains, as required. For the most part,
other than at Croxton and Chicago, they did not assign specific units to the
trains. That was the job of the Chief Train Dispatcher on each division.

There were cycles, such as ACX-99's power at Chicago would go to the next
NY-98, etc. Locomotive sets with a unit required at Marion Shop would usually
change at Marion. Sets with a unit required at Hornell would usually change
off at Meadville. For instance, the NY-98 would operate into Meadville with
two SD-45's and a GP-35. If one of the units were scheduled to Hornell for
some work, those three units would come off at Meadville and another set of
three or four units would be added. The Hornell units would work to Hornell on
HF-98. Meadville was a busy place as most locomotive consists went to the
shop to be carved up. Exceptions---BM-7 would run with four GP-7 Buffalo Yard
Units and they would turn back on RC-98. CM-2 from Cleveland would run with
one 1800 and it would turn back on MC-1. Of course, there were always
exceptions to the rule. MC-1 may operate with one 1800 and have four RS-3's along
to drop at Brier Hill for a Shenango Turn or some other move.

Points like Brier Hill, the CTD worked with the shop and the yardmasters and
ordered trains to Cleveland, etc., when power was available, such as 3
1800's for an mty train to North Randall and turn on a loaded ore train.

SMT

Yahoo! Travel
 Find  great deals to the top 10 hottest destinations!