(erielack) question for Schuyler Larrabee

Do you know who your family business bought gasoline from? Was delivery by rail only? Did they sell anything else?

  I found 2 refiners near Bradford, PA with their own tank cars in the '43 equipment register. Bradford is pretty close to Binghamton as was the Sinclair refinery in Wellsville.

  There are always a couple of plain tank cars in Bob Collins action photos of Erie 2-8-4s. I wonder if these contained gasoline or kerosene for customers distant from oil terminals located on water. Until I found out about the Sinclair refinery I thought Binghamton would be a good destination for these cars.

  They may also have contained some specialty products like aviation gasoline would could have gone to Stewart field.

  I wonder though if Erie would break down a fast freight train for a hundred mile trip.

  Any ideas?

  Ed

Edward B. Mines
238 Willard Dr.