(erielack) Website Update, Great Stuff

   Thats a good question which is hard to answer.
Since the Max speed of all freight trains is 50, and
the locomotives listed are for 50,I doubt those two
2-10-2's would have a higher speed limit than that.
Nor does the timetable list a Max speed limit for
those two locomotives being lower or higher.

  Some theories would be, that these two were in
captive service. If they were stationed as pushers
they might have had thier lateral motion devices
removed. They were removed on pushers to limit hunting
and seeking ( AKA Dognosing, Snaking Sailoring, .....)
while coupled to a caboose and under heavy throtle.
Without a latteral motion device they would really
tear up track going into curves.

Some locomotives were upgraded on speeds when the main
drivers were replaced with the Boxpok Wheels due to
much better cross counter balancing and inability to
get out of round and true.

Though, when the driver replacement was happening
orders were individually wriiten and not in the
timetable.

Also , railroads usually had one or two
"Frankensteins" in a class that recieved all the
questionable parts ( straightened rods, damaged drive
boxes, axles/wheel centers sets pressed on and off two
many timesEtc..) these were usually locomotives that
were in accidents previously and gradually got other
locomotives crap parts.

Again the the amount of R-3's was relativlely small
and two is a high percentage of units I could see two
or three for the berks.

I'll look through my AMC mechanical books for listings
on those two.

Rich Y.