(erielack) Tonnages for 99 and 100 series trains

I spent a lot of time watching CX-99, NY-100, TC-100, PB-100, and 2/NY-100
near Cuba NY during 1969-1973 or so, and to a lesser extent until 1976.

Except for 2/NY-100, these were the trains I could observe in the late
afternoon hours, and once I got a drivers license I often paced 2/NY-100 over the
hill, around midnight.  Some great memories there.

My recollection is that train lengths varied significantly.

CX-99 and NY-100 were most consistently long trains, probably well in excess
of 5,000 or 6,000 tons.  By the way, if you study the running times of these
trains in the back pages of the timetable, you will see that these two trains
were not the fastest pig trains.

I have a photo of PB-100 with five B&M GP-9s but recall that it tended to be
a shorter train.

During 1970-72, 2/NY-100 was relatively short and fast.  My recollection is
that its average length grew over time, even when other business was shrinking,
and it was a still substantial train right up until late 1975.

All this is purely anecdotal and "for what it's worth."  You may want to
research the overall stats showing how EL's TOFC business grew like topsy through
1972-1973 until the Traffic Department realized in 1974 that they were giving
it away, whereupon EL canceled a large number of trailer leases and demarketed
some business.

WDB